B.J. Thomas’ Watermelon and Feta Cheese SaladSep 20th, 2013 | By Cecilia | Category: cook something, soups and salads, summer
It’s a good thing B. J. Thomas doesn’t keep his musical trophies in the kitchen because there’d be no room for food. After more than four decades of performing, his many honors include: two platinum records, eleven gold records, five Grammy Awards, and two Dove Awards for gospel recordings. B. J. is the only artist ever to have a song simultaneously on the pop, country, and gospel charts.
Watermelon and Feta Cheese Salad
Submitted by Nora Thomas Cloud, B.J.’s daughter
This recipe come from Music in the Kitchen: Favorite Recipes from Austin City Limits Performers, by Glenda Facemire, published by UT Press.
- 2 c. seedless watermelon, diced into 1/2- inch cubes
- 1 c. fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 small purple onion, sliced thin
- 2 T. pine nuts, toasted
- 1/2 c. feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 c. green olives, sliced or quartered
- Dressing (recipe follows)
- Salad greens
- In a large bowl, combine 2 c. watermelon cubes (it’s best to use room temperature watermelon, which is
sweeter and crisper), parsley, onion, pine nuts, olives, and feta cheese.
- Toss with dressing.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve over salad greens.
Yield: 6 side salads
- 1 c. seedless watermelon, diced into 1/2- inch cubes
- 1/4 – 1/2 c. fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 c. extra virgin olive oil
- In a blender, purée the watermelon.
- Strain and discard pulp.
- Combine watermelon juice and lemon juice in a medium bowl.
- Slowly whisk in olive oil.