Shepherd’s PieDec 21st, 2012 | By Cecilia | Category: baking and desserts, blog, cook something, meat and poultry
Shepherd’s Pie or Cottage pie is a savory pie made of meat with a mashed potato crust. According to Wikipedia: The term cottage pie is known to have been in use in 1791,when the potato was being introduced as an edible crop affordable for the poor (cf. “cottage” meaning a modest dwelling for rural workers). ..The term “shepherd’s pie” did not appear until 1877.
Your favorite pie dough recipe for two single crusts
Mashed potato layer
- 4 large russet potatoes- about 5 lbs.
- 2 Tbs. butter
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup half & half
For meat filling:
- 1 1/2 lbs. lean ground beef or ground lamb
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion- chopped
- 1 Tbs. chopped garlic
- 1-cup fresh zucchini- chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas & carrots
- 1/3 lb. Fresh green beans- blanched
- 1 & 1/2 cups milk- divided
- 2 Tbs. cornstarch
- 1 Tbs. Tony Chachere’s seasoning
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Place the peeled, chopped potatoes into a pot of cold, salted water and cook until tender. Drain the potatoes and put them back into the pot. Then add the half & half and whip. Next, add the salt and butter and blend well. They should be very fluffy.
- Brown the beef in a skillet, using the vegetable oil if needed. Really crispy brown meat, not just slightly cooked and gray. Add the onion and cook until translucent. Next, add the garlic, zucchini, peas & carrots, green beans and seasoning. Let this simmer on medium low heat until the zucchini are slightly softened, about 15 minutes. Add 1 cup of milk to the skillet. Take the cornstarch and add to the other ½ cup of milk, then add that to the skillet.
- Place one recipe of pie dough into an 8” round pie pan, then add a layer of beef filling and last, top it with a generous helping of mashed potatoes.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 18 to 22 minutes or until the edges of the crust are browned.
Makes 2 pies with 8 servings each