Watermelon Salad with Cotija Cheese, Lime and CilantroJul 13th, 2012 | By Cecilia | Category: blog, cook something, soups and salads
Above photo courtesy of the blog From Maggie’s Farm.
Chef Shawn Cirkiel, the creative culinary talent behind Austin restaurants Parkside, Olive & June, and The Backspace uses as much locally sourced produce, meat and dairy at his restaurants as possible. Most of which he procures from Farm to Table.
It makes perfect sense. Shawn, himself, is local. Born and raised in Austin–on a farm, no less!
He shares a terrific summer dish that will become your “go-to” salad whenever watermelons are in season and the temperature rises.
Watermelon Salad, Cotija Cheese, Lime, Cilantro
- 4 cups diced yellow seedless watermelon
- 4 cups diced red seedless watermelon
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 2 limes zested
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 cup picked cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 1/4 cup basil leaves picked
- 1 tablespoon “paper thin” sliced jalapenos
- 1 tablespoon “paper thin” sliced shallots
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup pickled watermelon rind (recipe below)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup crumbled cotija cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all, reserving cheese and oil. Top with crumbled cheese & Extra Virgin Olive oil
Pickled Watermelon Rind
- 1/2 cup watermelon rind peeled and diced then soaked in 1 c water 1 Tablespoon salt overnight
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 star anise
- Combine and bring to a simmer.
- Hold for a minimum of 24 hours in the fridge, then it is ready to be used.