Americana Cooking (contest + podcast)Mar 10th, 2012 | By Cecilia | Category: Featured Articles, podcast, the show
CONTEST HAS ENDED
If Ruby Dee Phillipa, lead singer of the Americana roots band Ruby Dee and the Snakehandlers, ever invites you over for some home cooking, do yourself a favor and go.
This Grammy nominated singer-songwriter and author spends as much time–maybe more–in the kitchen as on stage; everything that comes from her culinary explorations hit the right note.
She says she was expected to know how to cook, and spent time in the kitchen with her grandmother–Nanny–learning to make traditional fare.
Upcoming Gigs for Ruby Dee and the Snakehandlers
Mar 16: Giddy-Ups – Austin, TX
Mar 16: Austin Live! – Austin, TX
Mar 23: Uncle Billy’s Lake Travis – Austin, TX
Mar 24: Uncle Billy’s Barton Springs – Austin, TX
Mar 30: Rusty’s Austin – Austin, TX
As her interest in food grew, she said she worked her way through the Time Life: Foods of the World series. She admitted that not all of her forays into foreign cuisine were successes, “But that’s how you learn.”
When I visited Ruby at the home she shares in Austin, Texas with her husband and band mate, Jorge Harada, she taught me how to make apple fritters. The recipe comes from her new cookbook Ruby’s Juke Joint Americana Cookbook, which was inspired by early food memories and regional cuisines she encountered while on tour with the band.
ENTER TO WIN A COPY OF RUBY’S JUKE JOINT AMERICANA COOKBOOK
Share a favorite food memory in the comments section of this story to enter for your chance to win a copy of Ruby Dee’s cookbook. Winner will be drawn at random using random.org.
- Must be 18 years old to enter.
- Only entries received by 6 p.m. CST Monday March 12, 2012 are eligible to win.
- Open to persons living in the US and Canada only.
- Must leave a favorite food memory in the comments section on this page to be included in the drawing .
- Only one entry per person/ household / IP address.
- Must include your name and valid email address to be included in the drawing.
- Only entries from people who haven’t won anything from Field & Feast in the last three months are eligible to win.
- Winner will be selected at random after 6 p.m. CST Monday March 12, 2012, and contacted via email by the show’s producer to coordinate mailing of book.
NOTE: These comments are monitored, so don’t fret if you do not see your comment for several hours. It will be time stamped and counted if it meets the criteria.