Yes, You Can! (podcast + contest)Aug 31st, 2012 | By Cecilia | Category: Featured Articles, podcast, the show
Jams and jellies. Pickles and preserves. Sauces, and even kale chips! We’re able to enjoy the season’s freshest picks year round thanks to the art of food preservation.
Interest in preserving food is on the rise; credit the Locavore movement or the fear of Armageddon — whatever it is, sales of canning supplies is beginning to rival the days when our grannies wrestled multiple jars of fruit pulp into hot water baths.
Plenty of books have come out in the last few years that deal with preserving seasonal produce. One of them is Yes, You Can! And Freeze and Dry It, Too, by Daniel Gasteiger of Lewisburg, Pennsylvania.
I spoke with Daniel not long ago by phone. He told me that for him, food preservation begins in his kitchen garden.
“I fondly refer to it as a ‘small’ kitchen garden, because I believe that if you gardened it in a typical vegetable garden style, it really would only supply supplemental vegetables through the growing season. I tend to plant intensively. So, in a row that might typically have four or five tomato plants — I’ll have thirteen or fourteen.”
Daniel preserves whatever his family cannot eat fresh. And by the sound of it — that’s most of the season’s harvest.
With the quantity and diversity of preserved products lining grocery store shelves and freezer cases, why would anyone go through the trouble, mess, and expense of canning, freezing or drying their own food? For Daniel the answer is simple: “I know where my food comes from and how fresh it is. My home canned goods don’t have ingredients listed on labels, but if they did, the lists would be short and I’d be able to pronounce everything on them.”
Yes, You Can! And Freeze and Dry It, Too, by Daniel Gasteiger, is a great resource filled with color photographs and illustrated step-by-step instructions for the beginner and the seasoned home cook. It’s accessible and offers useful tips, tricks and recipes to take the reader through a year of preserving and eating the freshest food available. He says if you can follow instructions, you can be successful.
ARE YOU READY TO START YOUR FOOD PRESERVATION ADVENTURE?
I have two copies of Yes, You Can! And Freeze and Dry It, Too, by Daniel Gasteiger to give away. Here’s what you need to do:
- First of all — you need to be at least 18 years old to enter.
- Next, go to the Field & Feast Facebook Page at www.facebook.com/fieldandfeast.
- Then, under the post for this show, which will be on the left side of the page, write a comment about why you want to learn, or why you enjoy preserving food.
- You can increase your chances if you also “like” the Field & Feast Facebook page, and share the post.
- Anyone, anywhere in the world, may enter for a chance to win.
- I will select a winner after 6 p.m. CST, Tuesday September 4, 2012 using Random.org.
- I will message the winners through Facebook, so make sure your permissions allow non-friends to contact you.
- If after I contact a winner and do not hear from them by 6 p.m. CST Tuesday September 11, 2012, they forfeit their prize.
UPDATE: On the broadcast and podcast I said a winner would be drawn on Monday September 3, 2012. However, since it is a holiday weekend, I have extended the time I am accepting entries to Tuesday September 4, 2012.